The Power of Female Friendships



Seeing as Thursday 8th March marks International Women's Day, what better way to celebrate than to discuss the power of female friendships and the impact these, often close, bonds have on a woman's life. 

As someone who found it difficult to make close female friendships during childhood, the ones I now have mean the world to me, however the older you get the trickier it can be to form similar bonds with new people. 

Now that I'm a bit older I no longer consider myself to have just one best friend. I adore all of my pals and I'm sure they would agree with the idea that it's okay to have multiple people that you call your best friend. 

That close female friend you made during your teenage years at school will always be an important one to hold close. You may not see each other as much anymore but they will always mean a lot to you and you'll always have plenty of laughs when you're reunited again. I have a friend like this and sometimes when I fear we might be drifting apart she'll text me something hilarious that you'd never dream of sending to anyone but your oldest friend; now I'm certain that particular friendship is destined to be lifelong. 


If you go to university it's inevitable that you'll grow closer to some girls more than others but often it happens in the most unlikely of situations. I met two of my closest university pals in completely different ways. The first was through Instagram, coincidentally we had followed each other on the app for years prior to us meeting for the first time. When we got to know each other better it seemed so funny that we had been liking each others posts the whole time. Instagram isn't all bad, right?

The second girl was someone I met through a mutual friend on the university newspaper. We've been friends for a couple of years now and I couldn't be more grateful for this person entering my life. She's currently on her year abroad having a wonderful time and I'm so happy for her but can't wait until she's home. 

Then there are the girls you're friends with but aren't as close with as you might like to be. One such person in my life is a girl I met through another mutual friend and she's a complete sweetheart. She's been there for me through times of illness and we've had the loveliest coffee dates in the past but I'd like to spend more time with her and get to know her that little bit better in the future. 

Female friendship is a funny thing but it really is so important and you shouldn't underestimate the difference a good pal can make to your life. What are you waiting for? Let your friends know how much you love them this International Women's Day (and everyday). 

Words Lauren Wade

Like Rock Revolver on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

0 comments: